Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wednesday - No Class!

I lucked out with my schedule and have no classes on Wednesday. Classes are only held Monday - Thursday, so I have Wednesdays and Fridays free every week!

I've got a bit of a cold, so I slept in a bit until 9. Then I got up, had breakfast, put some laundry in the washing machine, and headed out for the day. I went to the post office with Emma to get some stamps and send some postcards. Then I went to the Galleria dell' Accademia where Michelangelo's David is on display. I also saw David, of course, a copy of Titian's Assumption, some unfinished sculptures by Michelangelo as well as paintings by Granacci, Botticelli, and Giovanni. I was really excited to see some of the works of art I learned about in Art History last Spring in real life!

After the Accademia, I headed back to the apartment for lunch. Then Emily and I went to the Galleria Degli Uffizi, which was amazing! It's absolutely huge so we only went through the galleries in one wing. But I saw Giotto's Madonna and Child Enthroned, Piero della Francesca's Double Portrait of the Dukes of Urbino, Botticelli's Birth of Venus, Primavera, and Madonna and Child, da Vinci's Annunciation, and the Baptism of Christ done by Verrocchio and da Vinci. Of course there were tons of other works of art, but I was super excited to recognize some from Art History and seem them up close! We had a wonderful time!

Through the API program, we all have the Uffizi museum card which gets us into a ton of museums (including the Uffizi and Accadmia absolutely free!!!).

This evening, I'm going to do some reading for my Italian Mafia class and we're going out to dinner with some Italians! One of my PSP brothers was in Florence last Spring and she befriended a girl named Laura, who we're going out to dinner with tonight! It should be a lot of fun! :)

1 comment:

  1. Jenny! This is so cool-- I read through the first page and it looks soooo cool :D
    I'm glad you're having so much fun and the pictures look awesome!!
    Talk to you later,
    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete